According to the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute, this season’s salmon harvest is the fifth largest catch in the state’s history. The Institute estimates 203 million salmon have been caught. The first salmon usually caught on their migration come fromCopper Riverand thus many salmon are referred to as Copper River Salmon.
That translates to a strong season for salmon on the menus of your local restaurants. This Nation’s Restaurant News article features comments from chefs on how they plan to prepare the salmon this summer. Chef Jeremy McLachlan believes says he’ll serve the salmon with avocado crème and strive to keep things simple.
This is simply the best time of year to enjoy salmon and you’ll see it pushed hard on menus around the country. I encourage you to read the full article but here’s a sampling of other salmon dishes from restaurants:
Other Alaska salmon dishes:
• Poste, Washington, D.C.: Salmon belly tartare cones
• Tulio Ristorante, Seattle: King salmon poached in olive oil with saffron cauliflower and basil yogurt
• American Seasons, Nantucket, Mass: King salmon with fried green tomatoes and smoky crayfish green onion butter
• Slow Club, San Francisco: Pan-roasted wild Tofino Inlet king salmon with ginger-avocado purée, Chioggia beets, snow peas and upland cress
• Salty’s on the Columbia, Portland, Ore.: grilled salmon with roasted local organic fingerling potatoes, local asparagus, morels and charred ramps with garlic compound butter
• Restaurant Michael, Winnetka, Ill.: pan-roasted salmon fillet over a ragout of fava beans, asparagus and morels with roasted beat ravioli
• The Grille at Morrison House, Alexandria, Va.: Coho salmon with tempura broccoli, red onion gelée, mustard foam, mustard crème fraîche, potato latke, fried quail egg and salmon roe
• TAG, Denver: salmon with spring pea purée, cured wild boar, charred bok choy and tomato confit
• The Mermaid Inn, New York City: grilled king salmon with green lentils, red peppers and chile flakes
• Prairie Grass Café, Northbrook, Ill: King salmon with grain salad and asparagus, garnished with micro greens, pea shoots and lilacs
• BLT Fish, New York City: lightly seared king salmon with apricots, almonds and pickled ramps
• Recess, Indianapolis: King salmon with red wine shiitake mushrooms, carrots, fennel and Bordeaux spinach